1) Download and unpack the CS&HL Beta All-In-One package.
2) Copy the provided shortcut to your desktop, right-click on it and select properties. Change the "Target:" to the place where you unpacked the game, be sure to leave the last part intact, so it looks like this:
"C:\Program Files\Half-Life\hl.exe" -noipx -console -numericping -32bpp -nojoy -nointro
Then chage the "Start in" option the folder where the game is, in this example:
3) Now start the game, if you don't have a CD-Key you can use one from this list:
4) Be sure to start the different CS-Versions, set up your playername and control settings.
5) If you want to use a widescreen resolution (e.g. 1280x800 or 1920x1080), you have to go in the Half-Life directory and replace the "hl.exe" with the "hl-widescreen.exe"!
Note that there is a copy of the original file called "hl-original.exe". For more info look here.
6) You are now ready to join a game! In the main menu of Half-Life click on Multiplayer, then Internet Servers.
Now wait a couple of seconds until you see a new screen, here press Update on the left side to get a new list of servers, which should then appear in the middle of the screen.
Just double click them to join!
Tips for playing
* In the Betastrike.Net Event Forum times and dates for playing are usually discussed.
* On the Server Status Page you can see how many players are currently active on the different servers.
* If you want to get an IM message when there players active, register with the IM Notifcation Service.
* If you encounter any problems or have addtional question, feel free to ask in the Help forum!
* There is a very active Facebook page for the CS Beta community, where you can meet other players.
Install it from scratch:
1) Put the CD in your CD-Rom and install Half-Life.
2) Patch Half-Life 22.214.171.124 (the version you get when installing from the original CD) to version 126.96.36.199. You can download the Patch here.
3) Register the Phalanx Half-Life Master Server: Download this woncomm.lst file and put it in your Half-Life\Valve folder.
4) Install Counter-Strike 6.1: Download and start the Counter-Strike 6.1 full installer. Once it's finished, go to you Half-Life folder and rename the "cstrike" folder to "cstrk61", this enables you to have different versions of Counter-Strike installed at the same time and is required for playing on most servsers.
5) Install Counter-Strike 5.2: Download and start the Counter-Strike 5.2 full installer. Once it's finished, go to you Half-Life folder and rename the "cstrike" folder to "cstrk52", this enables you to have different versions of Counter-Strike installed at the same time and is required for playing on most servsers.
6) Install extra maps: On the BetaStrike Download page you can get additional maps, at least the Phalanx Map Pack is recommended. Just download and extract the file and then copy the .bsp files to you Half-Life\cstrk52 and Half-Life\cstrk61 folders. Addionaly for the Counter-Strike Beta 6.1 server you should install the Eisbaer Mappack V2.
7) Install Firearms: This is another very nice mod from the early days of Half-Life. Download and install Firearms 1.2 and then download and execute the Firearms 1.2a Patch