3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Ping.  (Read 8953 times)

mayday

Ping.
« on: 19. January 2011, 11:12:14 »
Is there any settings to tweak the ping/latency? "rate" is the only command i have found, is there anymore? I got around 60 in ping on a 100/100 mbit connection (south sweden.) If i got the ping to under 55-50 in beta 5.2 i would be happy. But there is no need to complain, maybe i've just got spoiled in later years with low ping times, back in 1999/2000 a 50-60 ping was a good one. But would be great if theres a way to tweak the ping a little bit. I might host a server in the future if theres a way to make it possible, i havent looked in to that yet. Where is the beta servers located?

Cnegurozka

• Administrator
  • Uber-Pro
Re: Ping.
« Reply #1 on: 19. January 2011, 11:46:04 »
Mine (Phalanx) servers are located in germany. NLDP's servers are in france and Eisbaer's servers are in the USA.

Only talking about my servers, a ping in that range is quite normal. The lowest I have seen was in the range of 40-45ms, that's what I had with DSL in germany. Now with cable I'm at 50-60.

The ping should be completely independent of your rate setting, as this only gives the used bandwidth and with your connection you shouldn't see a difference between 5kyte/s and 20kbyte/s. A bigger point might be other things using the connection in the background, even if they use only a small portion of the total bandwidth, like 1mbit/s it might already have an impact on your latency.

If you want to run a server some knowledge of linux is advised. And you should also try to have the server running 24/7 so over people can use it.
I'm running:
Gameservers: HL Deathmatch | Firearms 1.2a | CS 6.1 | CS 5.2
And Teamspeak 3
... also BetaStrike.Net in general ;)

mayday

« Reply #2 on: 19. January 2011, 12:19:56 »
Can you tell me what my rate should be? I changed it to a very high number, after reading your replay i know it what a misstake to change it. If i put up a server i will rent one, i think... If i put up a server at home the server will start to lag if i start som downloads on my other computers? Thats why i want to rent one. But the server i found today was not bad at all, my ping is under 60 most of the time (52-57), thats good. I'm glad i found this site, its fantastic that you got the betas to work online, as i said earlier i hope the servers will be up for a long time, and that we can play a 4 on 4 or maybe more some time soon. I will post a guide on how to play the betas on some swedish cs-communities today. I will connect to the fastest 5.2 server at 20:00 later this day, but keep in mind that i play with a wireless mouse and keyboard, i will buy some new stuff very soon. <:

Cnegurozka

• Administrator
  • Uber-Pro
« Reply #3 on: 19. January 2011, 13:40:48 »
Rate should be 20000. That's enough in any case for the game and also the server limit.
I'm running:
Gameservers: HL Deathmatch | Firearms 1.2a | CS 6.1 | CS 5.2
And Teamspeak 3
... also BetaStrike.Net in general ;)